Thursday, January 17, 2008

Back at College, Summary of my classes!

As I am sitting here drinking my delicious IBC Root Beer, I decided to post my classes, and give a brief summary of each. I'll start with the ones I had Yesterday and list them for you:

Monday, Wednesday and Friday:

11:00-11:50 Intro To Computer Science

1:30-2:20 Zen Buddhism and Japanese Culture

2:30-3:20 Astronomy



So okay, the first being Intro to Comp Sci. Taught by a fresh out of Grad School teacher who is a really nice Chinese lady (well, I guess lady is the right term there). She's very enthusiastic about what she does, which is good, but I didn't really learn anything groundbreaking on the first day. The class is bigger than I thought and surprisingly I'm one of a few nerds in there. Most people are there for their lab requirement I believe. The book we had to buy (a cool one hundred dollars) is called "java software solutions FIFTH EDITION." I am being a diligent student and actually read chapter one last night, well, up to 1.2. I noticed in college that textbooks fit more into chapters by calling them 1.2, 2.4. 1.3, etc. I guess its so students can break up their work better. Its a pretty straightforward book, but I'm more looking to learn about coding and such, rather than computer terms I know, such as what a modem and a BUS are. Gotta start slow I suppose.

My next class of the day was Zen Buddhism, with Professor Olson. Now, I had him for Buddhism 160, he's a good teacher, but he just teaches from his ONE book. Though he makes you buy SIX books and you only have to write two papers. Which is an amazing thing, his direct quote is "I don't give quizzes because, hell I'm not going to lie to you, I don't want to waste my time grading them!" What a guy! Most of the kids have no interest in the class, mainly seniors just picking up credits that don't matter. Which is sad because the religious studies classes are great in my opinion. Oh well, I'll be in that position as well.

Okay, third class, Astronomy. This class I am looking forward to (so far anyway). There's a variety of people in this class, from pretty much every class. Also, my good friend Katrina is in it! So that's always good haha. The professor is your typical Physics nerd, which is a GOOD THING. He talks very quickly and still hasn't gotten over public speaking it seems, but then again that is not an easy thing to do. The class will be very basic, but informative and from the looks of it, full of internet busy work. I also have a lab at like four every other Thursday, which is mostly on computers, so that'll be cool I think. I say that now but it'll be a pain haha.

My last class is my freshman seminar, which is entitled "Software Everywhere." It seems quite cool, the Professor is this really nice guy who loves what he does, you can just tell because he is bursting with enthusiasm. He has a slight German accent which is really really hardly noticeable, but it sounds quite cool. I find it funny, however, that he is the Assistant Computer Science professor and he does not have a computer at home!

But I'm ending this abruptly. more later! Possibly.

No comments: